- SOLA G2, 3D file to KML converter: Perhaps you remember, way back in 2006, the release of the SOLA converter, which took W3D, 3DS, DXF and OBJ files and turned them into to KML. Now, just released, is SOLA G2 which converts even more 3D file formats into accurately positioned KML. Free for personal use, $50 for commercial use.
- DIY sensor web: Very cool DIY sensor web project warns of forest fires, with sensor states mapped in real time on Google Earth.
- GE Imagery update: Lots of new satellite imagery for developing countries (my favorite kind :-) Details below the fold.
- Virtual Earth for China: Virtual Earth releases a new version of its mapping product for inside the Great Chinese firewall. It now includes an API. I was intrigued to notice that, just as with Google’s Chinese mapping product, Virtual Earth for China is completely devoid of satellite imagery.
- Where 2.0: Plenty of blogging from Where 2.0, nicely aggregated on Planet Geospatial, so I’m not going to engage in second-hand reporting here. My big-picture takeaway is this one big trend: Increasingly sophisticated and deeper access to geodatabases via better APIs and via the adoption of KML as an output standard crawled by Google. API-wise, we’re not just talking Yahoo and Google, but also smaller community oriented players like Rhiza Labs. As for adopting KML, ESRI’s ArcGIS content will automatically be made accessible to Google’s crawlers as KML, and so will GeoServer’s. To resort to a cliche, the buzzword is seamless integration.
- Where 2.0 question: Did Lisa Parks’ presentation really leave a good impression on people at Where 2.0? A talk by her 6 weeks ago appeared to be completely loopy.
- ArcGIS Explorer to do GeoRSS: ArcGIS Explorer gets GeoRSS support. Microsoft Virtual Earth also has GeoRSS support. Why is Google Earth still holding out?
New high resolution imagery:
- Ecuador, Peru, Senegal, Nigeria, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, India, Iran, Bangladesh, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, and The Philippines.
- 2.5m imagery for part of Western Australia
- USA: LA, San Diego, Houston, Miami, Chicago and Milwaukee area suburbs, New York City area suburbs, much of coastal New Jersey, and Harney County (Oregon).
Europe, Middle East & Africa:
- England: Isle of Man, Suffolk
- Spain: Madrid
- Portugal: Lisbon, Guimaraes, Porto, Sevilla, Coimbra, Costa del Sol, Costa Blanca
- Italy: Milan
- France: Toulon, Montbeliard
- The Netherlands: Assen
Asia & Oceania:
- Armenia: Yerevan
- Australia: Melbourne, Darwin
- Westport, Ireland
- Puerto Rico