- Embedded MyMaps: This is cool: Popular CMS WordPress has gotten an updated plugin that lets you display your Google MyMaps as embedded maps on your blog — MyGMMS. Here’s instructions.
- Google Update listed: Google (finally) lists the details of the past weekend’s dataset update. It’s official: All of Italy is at
40 pixels per meter resolution. Duh, at 2.5m per pixel, not 2.5cm. Entire list is below the fold.
- Mega or giga? Government Computer News interviews Google Earth CTO Michael Jones. The article begins thus:
When it comes to getting new photographic equipment, most people would settle for buying a new camera. Not Google technologist Michael Jones — he has actually built his own four-megapixel digital camera.
GCN is off by a factor of a thousand when it comes to the pixelage of that camera. But the rest of the article is accurate, especially the bits by Michael Jones:-)
- Govt help for GE: Governments have for a while now been contributing static data to Google Earth’s dataset. Canada’s British Columbia province may become the first government entity to contribute real-time data such as roadworks information, reports The Vancouver Sun. (Via Peter Batty’s great writeup of the GeoWeb conference (part 1))
- ArcGIS Freed: You no longer need to register to download ESRI ArcGIS Explorer. Good move.
- Slow news day? The Daily Mail has the headline: Most detailed pictures of Earth ever seen. It must be a slow news day, as they meant Blue Marble images collated from MODIS. Beautiful it may be, but detailed?
- Free beer at last: The Wall Street Journal: Roofers are using Google Earth to calculate roof sizes and hence estimates. No mention by anyone that using Google Earth for work requires the $400/year Pro version. (Via Business Opportunities)
New high resolution:
- US: State of Vermont, State of Nevada, State of Colorado, Chenango County (NY), Oswego County (NY), Lancaster (PA), Montgomery County (MD), Prince George’s County (MD), Charleston (WV), Frankfort (KY), Leon County (FL), Volusia County (FL), Orlando (FL), Melbourne (FL), Ridgeland (MS), Tucson (AZ), Phoenix (AZ), Pierce County (WA), Walworth County (WI), Waukesha County (WI), Milwaukee (WI), Washington County (WI), Ozaukee County (WI), Puerto Rico & US virgin Islands.
- South America: Maracabio, Venezuela
- France: French Riviera, Arles, Biarritz, Strasbourg, Grenoble, Angers, Amiens, Bourges, Clermont Ferrand, Loire River
- Italy: 2.5m imagery for the entire country.
- Germany: Aachen, Bielefeld, Braunschweig, Stralsund, Duisburg, Halle, Hannover, Herten, Itzehoe, Karlsruhe, Cologne , Norderstedt, Pinneberg, Quickborn, Recklinghausen, Rellingen, Schenefeld, Tornesch, Wentorf
- Americas: Regina, Canada; Saskatoon, Canada; Winnipeg, Canada; Ottawa, Canada; Quebec, Canada; Chemung County (NY, US); Cortland County (NY, US); Broward County (FL, US); Fairbanks (AK, US); Boise (ID, US); Colorado Springs (CO, US); Aquas Calientes, Mexico; Brasilia, Brazil; Santiago, Chile; San Salvador, El Salvador; Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.
- Europe: Lisbon, Portugal; Madrid, Spain; Naples, Italy; Rome, Italy; Athens, Greece; Moscow, Russia; St Petersburg, Russia; Kazan, Russia; Saratov, Russia; Prague, Czech Republic
- Middle East/Africa: Timbuktu, Mali; Cape Town, South Africa; Tunis, Tunisia; Tbilisi, Georgia; Mecca, Saudi Arabia; Jeddah, Saudi Arabia; Riyadh, Saudi Arabia; Addis Ababa, Ethiopia; Alger, Algeria; Lusaka, Zambia; Nouakchott, Mauritania; Sana, Yemen; Tashkent, Uzbekistan
- Asia: Beijing, China; Shanghai, China; Mumbai, India; Pyongyang, North Korea
- Oceania: Melbourne, Australia
- Eastern US 10m, West Virginia 3m, Alaska 60m, New Zealand 10m