- Via Virtual Earth asks why the 3D features of Virtual Earth have been slow on the uptake with developers, but has the answer handy:
My personal opinion is the 3D has issues with being an ActiveX control that runs on Windows and IE only, it is not really web.
In fact as a developer, if I know I am only targeting the Windows platform then a browser is not going to provide the richest user experience. I would be better off building a Windows application.
It’s ironic (just a little) that Google, meanwhile, has a standalone application, though for three different platforms.
- Overlays of antique maps of Russian cities, by Valery Hronusov.
- There’s a new version of KMLer, the ArcGIS extension that lets you export and import KML, by Valery Hronusov.
- Got Vista? There’s an updated version of Google Earth for you to download. (Via Google Earth Blog).
- Panoramio now has 1 million georeferenced photos in its database. That was fast. There’s nothing quite like getting a default layer in Google Earth:-)