Here’s a quick catch-up post of interesting content related to Google Earth from the past few days. Regularly scheduled posting resumes Monday morning…
- The Times of India, to their credit, reports “Google satellite images no threat, says IAF chief“. Indian Air Force Chief Marshal S. P. Tyagi is a voice of reason. (Thanks to everyone who emailed me this:-)
- I’ve been following this thread on Google Earth Community with interest over the past week: “Reverse-engineering the Adidas Game“. (Don’t forget that some very nifty solutions to the one-way interaction problem were found back in August 2005 by Mickey when he first made the GEWar game.)
- Fantastic! A GeoRSS aggregator with search by area: Mapufacture, by Mikel Maron.
- Suw Charman writes up a talk by Mikel Maron about GeoRSS at Xtech 2006. Turns out there are more GeoRSS aggregators in the pipeline: Placedb, The GeoThingy, and FoF Redux.
- European hotel booking site Booking.com integrates Google Earth into its search results. Intuitive and seamless. (Via Roell.net)
- Import KML into open source 3D authoring tool Blender with this Python script. (Via BlenderNartion)
- Use Google Earth and SketchUp to present your architectural project, win a prize, as a Stanford team did with the Green Dorm.
- Microsoft makes its updated Virtual Earth imagery available as a plugin for NASA World Wind, reports Bull’s Rambles. The plugin includes a business finder, and hence a revenue opportunty, which explains why they would be willing to bear the bandwidth costs.